Code of Conduct
To make soccer an enjoyable and rewarding experience for all participants and to provide an environment where all children can have fun, develop skills and learn sportsmanship and team play, we have a Zero Tolerance Policy with respect to poor behaviour of players, coaches, parents and spectators.
This Club Code of Conduct is a club initiative and takes the basic minimum standard proposed by the Illawarra Junior Football Association and adds our clubʼs culture and mission to it.
Players, coaches, parents and spectators must agree to adhere to our Code of Conduct. All committee members, coaches and officials are instructed to carry out the enforcement of the Code of Conduct. When necessary a Conduct Review Committee will be established to investigate complaints and decide penalties.
Player Code of Conduct
• I will play for fun, work hard to improve my skills, be a team player and get along with my teammates.
• I will learn teamwork, sportsmanship and discipline.
• I will be on time for practices and games, learn and play by the rules and always be a good sport.
• I will respect coaches, teammates, parents, opponents and officials.
• I will not openly and repeatedly, in an unreasonable manner dispute or argue with an officialʼs decision.
• I will not use drugs or alcohol.
In addition to the penalties assessed during the game, any violation of the above code may result in a one game suspension. A second violation may result in a three game suspension. Any additional violation may result in a possible season suspension.
In the case of a one or three game suspension, the player will not be able to participate in a league game, practice game or tournament game and will not be able to participate in training sessions during that period.
In the case of drug or alcohol use the child will be immediately and automatically suspended until hearing by a conduct review committee.
Parent Code of Conduct
- I will act appropriately at all times and will cheer good plays of all participants and I will cheer in a positive manner and encourage fair play.
- I will display good sportsmanship and always respect players, coaches, officials and other parents.
- I will be supportive after the game, win or lose, and I will recognise good effort, team
work and sportsmanship.
- I will resolve to conduct myself as a parent and adult even under the most trying
- I will not use obscene or vulgar language to anyone at any time, before, during or
after a game.
- I will not taunt players, coaches, officials, or other spectators by means of baiting,
ridiculing, making negative comments, threats of violence, or actual violence.
- I will not boo or jeer players or officials.
- I will not openly object to an officialʼs call or yell at an official.
- I will not embarrass my child by yelling at players, coaches, or officials and I will
always show a positive attitude towards the game and all its participants.
If a parent violates any part of the code they may not be allowed to attend another game, practice game, tournament game or practice session for two weeks. In the case of subsequent violations the parent may be subjected to further disciplinary action by a Conduct Review Committee, which may include a permanent ban on attending games or suspension of the child for the parentʼs failure to adhere to the code and/or comply promptly with sanctions.
ALL PENALTIES SHALL BE ASSESSED BY A CONDUCT REVIEW COMMITTEE UPON
A DULY FILED COMPLAINT AND HEARING. ALL DECISIONS MADE BY THE
COMMITTEE SHALL BE SUBJECT TO APPEAL AND REVIEW BY THE COMMITTEE OF
THE COLEDALE WAVES JUNIOR SOCCER.
Coach Code of Conduct
- Winning is a consideration but not the only nor the most important one. I will care more about the children than winning the game.
- I will remember players are involved in soccer for fun and everyoneʼs enjoyment and a playerʼs safety is of the utmost important.
- I will be a positive role model to my players and display emotional maturity.
- I will be generous with my praise, consistent, honest and fair.
- I will not criticise players publicly.
- I will adjust to personal needs and problems of players, be a good listener, never verbally or physically abuse a player, official or parent and give all players an opportunity to improve their skills, and gain confidence and self-esteem.
- I will organise practices that are fun and challenging for my players.
- I will familiarise myself with the applicable rules and will institute techniques and strategies of soccer, and encourage all participants to be team players.
- I will maintain an open line of communication with players and parents and I will explain our goals and objectives.
- I will be concerned with the overall development of the players and stress good health habits and clean living.
- I will understand and accept that to play the game is great, but to love the game is greater.
- I will not dispute or argue an officialʼs decision.
- I will not use obscene or vulgar language to anyone at any time before, during or after games.
- I will not visually demonstrate any sign of dissatisfaction with an officialʼs decision with the intent of inciting the officials, players or spectators.
Coaches shall be subject to penalties assessed and determine by the Conduct Review Committee and the full committee.
The club committee will review the effectiveness of the Code of Conduct every two years and revise the policy when required.